Mark 4:24-25 (NLT)
Then he added, “Pay close attention to what you hear. The closer you listen, the more understanding you will be given*—and you will receive even more. To those who listen to my teaching, more understanding will be given. But for those who are not listening, even what little understanding they have will be taken away from them.”
The top two questions I get being a Pastor and leading people are “What’s God’s Will for my life?” and, “How do I know if God is speaking to me?”
10 Ways that God Speaks (there are more ways, but I these are the top 10 ways that I’ve found)
- Through Circumstances – Jonah is an example; He heard God’s voice but didn’t listen. God then spoke through a circumstances and the belly of a fish.
- Through Council
- Through Peace – Phil 4:7 Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.
- Through People – Acts 21 Agabus, a prophet, gave a word to Paul.
- Dreams & Visions – Matthew 1:20 As he considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream…
- Through Thoughts
- Natural Manifestations – A dove to represent the Holy Spirit
- Supernatural Manifestations – Donkey Speaking / Burning Bush
- Through the Bible – Romans 10:17 So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ
- Through a Still Small Voice (a Whisper) – 1 Kings 19:12 And after the earthquake there was a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire there was the sound of a gentle whisper
You must be aware that God speaks in different places and positions. I wanted to give you these for moments when you feel like you hear from God, but are not quite sure. This can be a checklist for you to go back to and say, “Yes, I think it was God speaking to me.”
God Has a specific Voice, but be aware there are other voices too. In the garden there were two people trying to talk to Adam and Eve (God & Satan). This is why Jesus said in vs24: …Pay attention (be careful) to what you listen to – because Satan speaks. The Bible calls Satan the Prince & Power of the Air. Don’t you think Satan might try to grab those words and twist them? When you feel like you hear Him speak make sure it’s God broadcasting and not Satan broadcasting. When you have identified where God spoke to you on the checklist, then run those thoughts through the filter of peace. The Bible says Satan is the author of confusion. If what you heard doesn’t bring peace then it’s probably not of God.
If you feel peace, pray it through and the Lord will continue to speak to you.
Apply this principle this week to your marriage, relationships, finances, business, parenting, walk with the Lord, and life in general. I’m confident that if you are willing to give God room to speak into your life, He will do it and He will do it gladly.